Sunday, June 25, 2006

Fitz's Root Beer
12 fl. oz.
glass bottle
Fitz's, University City, MO
cold, no ice

I grew up in St. Louis--Clayton, U. City, and the Central West End--and Fitz's Root Beer is brewed in the heart of my old stomping grounds. In fact, it's just down the street from one of my favorite movie houses in the world, the Tivoli; the Tivoli was where I first saw many of my favorite movies (and where I probably got my first contact high to boot!). So I admit, I was predisposed to like Fitz's. Take that into account when I say that Kate and I loved this root beer.

It's extremely smooth and creamy. Its dominant flavor (and scent) is sarsparilla--at least that's what we thought it was. It wasn't licorice (thank God! I'm still having nightmares about Red Ribbon), or honey, or vanilla. Anyway, it was very pleasant. The color was also nice--a dark, carmelly gold.

There wasn't much of a head, but we'd made the mistake of pouring it into glasses that were still warm from the dishwasher. I drank my glass quickly it was so yummy, and Kate wasn't far behind. I look forward to comparing Fitz's to my old Chicago favorite (actually brewed in Milwaukee, I believe) Sprecher's. Two root beers will enter, but only one will leave.

Final verdict: Creamy, smooth, and pleasantly root-y--really good.

KP: 7 of 10
MG: 7 of 10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home