Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Thomas Kemper's Ginger Ale
12 fl. oz.
glass bottle
Thomas Kemper Sodas, Seattle, WA
cold, no ice

I want to start off by saying how much I like Thomas Kemper sodas. I like their root beer, which is served at a restaurant down the street. I especially like their black cherry soda, which I've had several times as well. And both Kate and I are great fans of ginger ale. So it is with great surprise, and not a little sadness, that I must tell you that, in our opinion, Thomas Kemper Ginger Ale BLOWS.

The word that Kate used was "soapy." This is not a word you want associated with a beverage. The word I--always polite--came up with was "botanical." Whatever you call it, it added up to a soda we liked less than your garden-variety Canada Dry. Batch-brewed crap is still crap.

What went wrong? Is there such a thing as too much pure Jamaican ginger extract? Could it be the high fructose corn syrup? TKGA gave me the ol' Vernor's cough--I assume that's ginger fumes attacking the back of my throat--but utterly failed to deliver. It was neither hardcore like a ginger beer, nor brisk and snappy like common ginger ales such as Canada Dry. It was simply weak. Thoroughly, thoroughly disappointing--there is no point to this soda. Thomas--Tom--get your act together and make a ginger ale worthy of your other sodas.

Final verdict: Don't bother. Thomas Kemper's retarded child that they keep in the attic and nobody talks about. Is that too harsh? Who cares, I want my $1.89 back.

KP: 3 of 10
MG: 2 of 10

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I totally didn't! To me, the Vernor's cough is a harbinger of tongue-burning goodness to come. So I GOT the cough, but then the soda that came after was totally weak. Thomas Kemper Ginger Ale is a tongue-tease, and that's just not right.

BTW, I love Vernor's, it's probably my all-time favorite soda, but I don't believe their founding story one bit. People don't randomly taste crap that's been sitting somewhere for years. At least I don't; maybe if I did, I'd be a wealthy soda baron.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truely can't believe you dissed Thomas Kemper like that. I have tasted Giner Ale all over the world, literally. And Thomas Kemper is the best I have had.

I found this site in my quest to buy Thomas Kemper Ginger Ale online!

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Michael. We're the TK Soda people. Sorry we let you down. Would you mind contacting us? You can reach us through our website at www.tksoda.com.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in the NW some years ago and recently returned for the first time. I shopped all over the place to get some of the TKGA again. Canada Dry is ok but not much better than chain store brands for me. Vernors is definitely better and my favorite for an inexpensive GA. Reed's is good stuff. But my all time favorite is TK's with the honey flavor behind the ginger. Unfortunately, I can't locate any in the high planes of Texas.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home