Thursday, June 29, 2006

Empire Spruce Beer
12 fl. oz.
glass bottle
Empire Bottling Works, Bristol, RI
cold, no ice

Okay, I so wanted to like this. It's just the kind of thing that I love--strange, regional, obviously someone's passion.

Unfortunately, I didn't. I couldn't even finish a small glass. Kate hated it even worse. She took one sip and bailed. "Christmas tree water," she said.

"Maybe our cats would like it," I offered. From December 15th to January 15th, none of the little furry freeloaders who live with us drink out of their water dish, preferring the sap-loaded, needle-riden Christmas tree water instead. "At least drinking Spruce Beer isn't a fire hazard." That was cold comfort for Kate. "It tastes like something you'd drink to keep from pooping."

She's right; Empire Spruce Beer tastes like Pepto-Bismol. But surely some people like that flavor, and if you do, I encourage you to seek out this beverage. Because it is strange, regional, obviously someone's passion. In this day and age, that's something to celebrate. Even if it is grody.

Final verdict: It's weird, and you'll probably hate it. But then again, Spruce Beer is exactly, unashamedly what it claims to be--a drink that tastes like beer brewed from Christmas trees. So try it--it's Pepto-riffic!

KP: 1 of 10
MG: 2 of 10

2 Comments:

Blogger Leland Bryant Ross said...

I had spruce beer in Montreal in 1973 or so and loved it even though it was nonalcoholic (and I was alcoholic). Since then I have twice located sources for it and twice they have dried up on me. I'll try this one. Thanks!

10:43 PM  
Blogger alison said...

i definitely love spruce beer...my unabashedly favorite kind of carbonated beverage ever...

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home