Monday, July 03, 2006

Virgil's Cream Soda
12 fl. oz.
glass bottle
REED'S LLC, Los Angeles, CA
cold, no ice

Kate doesn't like cream soda; actually, that's not quite correct. She thinks it's okay, but "when you can eat creme brulee to get your vanilla fix, why drink cream soda?" I cannot argue that--but I can't eat creme brulee, or indeed anything containing the merest smidge of milk. This may explain my devotion to cream soda in general and Virgil's in particular. During the football season, when I've cracked one of their mini-kegs, I think my blood-Virgil's content may be inching towards fatal. And I don't care!

Most cream soda is pretty one-dimensional: pale-bubbly-very sweet, with a thin note of vanilla. Virgil's is a whole different beast. It looks like single malt scotch. Even better, it's got depth--the ingredients read like a model UN, and you can taste 'em all. It's still primarily vanilla, but there's also this yummy carmelization--from the carmelized pure cane sugar. Most sodas are lucky to have ONE kind of pure cane sugar; Virgil's cream has TWO. Clearly, you're in good hands here.

Final verdict: I'll give it a "9," because I believe the perfect cream soda has not been invented yet. But I'm here to tell ya, Virgil's will be tough to beat. It also comes in mini-kegs during football season, which is awwwwesome!

KP: Off eating creme brulee, I guess
MG: 9 of 10

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, thanks for the kind words about Milde's Cream Soda, however, it originated in Jackson, Missouri and later bottled throughout southern Missouri. You are right; it is the best tasting cream soda.
Your uncle may have passed through Jackson or Cape Girardeau during those summer trips - maybe even just for the soda alone!!!
-a Milde, and a cream soda fan!

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there anyone that could give me any information on Milde's soda. My husband's great grandfather was the one who owned Milde's sodas.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Milde's Cream Soda was definately the perfect cream soda. Throw in a couple of Wibbs BBQ sandwiches and I'd be in heaven.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

angie - check out one of the Milde family sites, and e-mail us there about the soda or history. good luck!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Jackson, Missouri and agree that Milde's Cream Soda was the best ever. I have several old Milde's Soda bottles I have collected over the years. I was saddened when they stopped making Milde's Cream Soda.
Steve Ford

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

angie~ hello, from the story that i have heard two milde brothers came to the US form germany one headed south one headed north, a fight made it all happen, the one that went south invented milde soda and then it was sold to cocacola comp they bottled the soda. i came from the north side of the family so this info may or may not be true if you wish to contact me please do we have been trying to figure out everything too. please contact me at badangl699@aim.com my name is christine also milde thanks

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 1 milde's soda bottle,w/yellow painted lable.Does anyone know when that bottle was made? When did the company start and end.I am from STL originally but I lived in the town of Jackson w/ my wife and we did enjoy the small town feel for one year. We had to come back home to stl. My Email is Samtimr@yahoo.com. Thanks

9:13 PM  
Blogger jo said...

Anyone know what a Milde bottle is worth? I have two that say Flat River, Mo. on them, and that plant has been shut down for decades...they also changed the name of the town from Flat River to Park Hills...Thanks!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackson, MO is my home town. I grew up drinking Milde's Soda. Their Cream Soda was the BEST. I now collect Milde Soda items. I am interested if anyone has more knowledge of the history of Milde Soda or Milde Bottling.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, if you get back to this blog...I have most of the Milde history, and you may be talking about the founder A.D. Milde if that is the great grandfather you know of? Drop an email address and I can send more.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have a few bottles I'd be interested in knowing more of the history I'm a Milde and figure it's a neat thing to know bomilde@yahoo.com if anyone has any history

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, My family is from jackson Missouri, and I grew up on Mildes. I had family that worked at the plant. I remember them talking about when Coke bought the plant and the brand, they were all worried. It was THE perfect cream soda!! The reason I started looking for Milde's was we juast had a birthday party at work and one of my co-workers brought up a Fitz's soda sampler. Fitz's is a local soda brewer, started with rootbeer, which is really good btw. But i just tried their new one, Cardinal Cream Soda. It's still not Milde's, but it's pretty darn good, close! And it's red like Milde's was. Most nowdays are pink or something. I used to love going down to Jackson, grandma and my relatives would always have some waiting for me. We'd have it alone, or over vanilla 'Ice Milk' or sherbet. Heaven!!! I really miss those days and that place. I wish Coke had not bought the place, or at least would have left it open! It's so cool that other people feel the same way I did!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home